Teacher Times #31
April 28, 2014
Birthdays of the Week
Deborah Sklar 4/30
Procedures For Regents Prep & ALL After-School Activities
Below please find the Regent Test Prep Schedule, a Student Permission Slip, and an After School Activities Policy Sheet. Please review them and adhere to the specifications therein.
Please make sure to:
1. Provide Secretary Annie Torres with a per-session request letter.
2. Provide Annie with a completed OP 175.
3. Ask Annie for a letter of acceptance.
4. Issue permission slips that contain all required information. (i.e., all dates, start and stop times).
5. Provide a copy of a permission slip to each participating student.
6. Collect all permission slips. Keep one copy for yourself in case of emergency. Check permission slips for accuracy. Do not accept permission slips that are not completed. Phone calls home written a permission slip do not qualify. A “completed” permission slip has all required signatures, phone numbers, and other information.
7. Cross-check all permission slips with attendance rosters for each participating student.
8. Make sure all to have permissions slips with emergency phone numbers with you during your activity.
9. Attendance must be taken every day. Please send a student to Annie with completed attendance 10 minutes after your class has started. A copy of your attendance will be made so you can attach it to your timesheet. You must type in the names of your student and e-mail it to Annie so she can begin a tally for snacks. You must also use the same attendance sheet every time you meet with your students and make sure it is up to date.
In case of an emergency, the office and supervising administrator must have a list of all staff members & students that are in the building.
Pic Of The Week
Processing Deadline for Enrolling, Changing, or Cancelling Benefits
If you would like to enroll, change, or cancel electronic fund transfer, Wage Works or transit benefits, or 529 College Savings Plan arrangements, you should complete a paper application by May 1 or make selections via the payroll portal by May 9. If the NYCDOE receives your request after these dates, your request will be processed for the first check in September.
For more information on making these selections, see payroll memo #10. For questions, call 718-935-3545. For assistance accessing the payroll portal, call 718-935-4000.
Common Core Curriculum Professional Development Updates
The NYCDOE is offering the following professional development (PD) and resources on Common Core-aligned curriculum and instruction:
Registration Links for Curriculum Team Session 5 and Core Knowledge PD: Your staff may now register for curriculum team session five and Core Knowledge PD using the registration links below and in this overview; sessions will take place in May. Please share this information with your staff. Note that educators who participated in a previous curriculum PD session will also receive information about how to register via an email this week from email@example.com.
Register by May 9 for:
§ curriculum team sessions for ReadyGen, Go Math!, Code X, and CMP3 (various dates, May 19–23)
§ curriculum team sessions for high schools and middle schools that did not purchase Core Curriculum materials; these sessions will focus on shifting pedagogy in math (May 21, 22), ELA (May 21), science (May 28), and social studies (May 28)
§ Core Knowledge PD sessions: session four for K–2 (May 19) and session two for pre-k (May 20)
Online Resources: To see a complete list of online resources for each Core Curriculum program, click here.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professional Development and Student Opportunities
Professional development and student opportunities are posted on the PD and Student Opportunities page. This week’s highlights include:
§ Participate on April 28: Bilingual Symposium
§ Participate April 28: NYU Reading Recovery Information Sessions for Principals and Other Administrators
§ Participate on May 2: “Go Figure” offered by K–12 Educator Programs at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
§ Register by May 6: “New York Divided: Slavery and the Civil War” Teacher Workshop
§ Participate on May 6: Teaching American History Lecture Series Presents Professor Craig Wilder
§ Participate on May 15: Rethinking STEM-D Education: Innovative Practices from the Field
§ Register by May 16: Arts Education Liaison Workshop # 7: Next Steps - Jumpstart into the New School Year 2014 – 2015
§ Participate on May 30: STEM Educator Workshop
Middle and High Schools:
§ Participate in June and July: STARTALK Summer Hindi Language Program
§ Apply by June 2: Big Ten Scholarship for Queens Seniors
§ Participate in July: Summer Hackers Immersion Program: 4 Week Program in Computer Science