Teacher Times #3
September 16, 2013
Technology Notes & Updates
1. Both the teacher's lounge and the Data room are now fully functional. Meaning, all computers are working, all are printing, all have access to the Internet.
2. The Data is room is now ready for scanning DDC tests. We were able to revise the process to make it simpler. I will email everyone the revised, simpler instructions by the end of the day Monday, and also post them on the wall behind the computers. (We found a way where you don't have to go back and forth between the networks, and have reduced the number of steps. More coming on that shortly).
3. LAPTOP CARTS - It was my hope to reimage many of the computers in the carts before distributing school-wide. I realize that will take time, so we are ready to distribute them now. I may in the near future "side-line" a cart for a day to do this work, but for now I wish to get them into your hands. Please stop by before school or after 5th period to obtain the keys if you are the keeper of your cart. (In this way, please don't save student work to the desktops. They will soon be wiped clean. Use your flashdrive, a cloud application, or have students email their work to themselves).
I will be equipping each cart with a sign out sheet shortly for teachers who need them. That will happen this week.
4. OVERHEAD projectors - Not the digital projectors that connect to computers, but the good old fashioned over-head transparency type. We have a number of them available, so if you would like one, please let me know. They may be old, but they still work great! (Like Mariano Rivera!).
5. COMPUTERS IN DATA ROOM AND TEACHERS LOUNGE - Any problems, please report it to me immediately. Keeping them working perfectly always is a TOP priority. Last year I would often find out something was wrong after a long time passed. It would be great to avoid that this year, so... as is the case of copy machine problems being reported to Annie right away, please let me know about the computers and printer in these two rooms. Also, please don't leave your digital documents on the desktops of these computers. If you have to, right click the desktop and make a folder for yourself if you wish to store them on the computer. Or better yet, use a flash drive.
6. ONE MORE NOTE ABOUT THE DATA ROOM AND TEACHERS LOUNGE COMPUTERS... use the teacher accounts. The password is "keyboard" The admin passwords were changed. We were having too many problems and too many people changing preferences and printer icons, so we wish to ask that you use the TEACHERS accounts to minimize problems.
A FEW QUICK REMINDERS... *Remember to lock your technology when you are not in your room. Things can disappear quickly and without a trace. PARTICULARLY your digital projectors. We do not have more to give out if yours is lost, so please take the extra time to secure it each day. **Please remember the most important rule with the laptop carts, which is that no single laptop should ever leave room of the mother cart. We have to ask for NO EXCEPTIONS to this. It is how we lose computers. At any one time all the computers should be in the same room. Also, remember, if you have to be absent, please do not allow the carts to be used by the sub. The only exception is when you have a coteacher and know for sure that classroom management is in order and the technology will be safe. ***The best way to communicate with me about technology is by email. I am also available to speak in person during 6th, 7th and 8th periods, as well as after school.
Pic Of The Week
1) DO NOT FORGET TO MOVE YOUR TIMECARD FROM THE IN-OUT POSITION.